Vaisala GLD360-enhanced Helideck Monitoring System provides pilots and helideck operators with precise, real-time situational awareness of lightning risks for efficient route planning and elevated safety worldwide.
Vaisala, a global leader in weather, environmental, and industrial measurements, announced today the integration of lightning data from Vaisala's Global Lightning Dataset GLD360 – part of its Vaisala Xweather suite of weather and environmental data services – into its Helideck Monitoring System.
Built to meet the demands of challenging offshore environments, Vaisala’s first-of-its-kind Helideck Monitoring System now utilizes the world's most reliable and accurate thunderstorm and lightning information from GLD360, the only global sensor network that detects thunderstorms in real time anywhere in the world – including oceans, seaports and other areas outside the range of weather radars. Helicopter pilots, helideck operators, and offshore authorities can now make informed “waiting on weather” decisions that result in minimized operational downtime, improved route planning, and reduced cost and impact of weather disruptions.
This unique solution for offshore operations delivers:
- Unmatched detection efficiency and location accuracy: Vaisala’s global lightning data network identifies 100% of global thunderstorms – including five to 10 times more lightning than any other global lightning network – and locates lightning with a median accuracy of 1 kilometer.
- Complete situational awareness: The Vaisala Lightning Threat Zone provides nowcasts for storm and lightning trajectory in 10-minute increments up to 60 minutes out, advising when a location of interest may be impacted.
- Maintenance-free lightning data services: With no capital investment needs or expensive offshore maintenance costs, the Helideck Monitoring System eliminates the need to purchase, install, or maintain single-point lightning detection sensors.
- Highest-quality lightning data: Vaisala’s expertise in lightning data, and its ongoing investments in operating and maintaining the world’s best global lightning network, safeguards offshore operations with real-time lightning data with better than 99.99% availability.
- Proven lightning and offshore weather expertise: Vaisala lightning detection networks are used by the U.S. Navy, U.S. Air Force, National Weather Service, Federal Aviation Administration, and many large power utilities and commercial organizations globally.
- Lightning data when needed: The lightning data services are compatible with 4G LTE, 5G, and all common satellite internet communication solutions used at sea with minimal bandwidth requirements.
- Compliance with industry standards: The fully certified Helideck Monitoring System solution complies with current CAP437 and Helideck Certification Agency requirements, and its CAA-certified software adheres to international aviation regulations.
“It’s all about safety and efficiency. Lightning can cause power outages, damage helicopters and infrastructure, and even put people in harm’s way. Monitoring lightning in real time to assess its impact is essential for protecting lives and assets and optimizing the timing of offshore helicopter takeoffs, landings, hoist operations and fueling,” said Mikko Nikkanen, Head of Maritime at Vaisala. “Our upgraded Helideck Monitoring System allows offshore customers to stay ahead of the weather and gain oceans of actionable insight to boost their operations with confidence.”
Leveraging more than 85 years of measurement expertise, including 45-plus years in aviation weather and over a decade of experience in demanding offshore weather applications, Vaisala’s robust global support team has successfully delivered hundreds of Helideck Monitoring Systems to partners around the world. For more information about how Vaisala enables observations for a better world, please visit vaisala.com.
For more information about how Vaisala’s HMS solution helps safeguard personnel and avoid costly and frustrating flight interruptions, visit vaisala.com/en/industries-applications/maritime/helideck-monitoring.
Vaisala is a global leader in weather, environmental, and industrial measurements. Building on over 85 years of experience, Vaisala provides observations for a better world, with space-proof technology even exploring Mars and beyond. We are a reliable partner for customers around the world, offering a comprehensive range of innovative observation and measurement products and services. Headquartered in Finland, Vaisala employs over 2,000 professionals worldwide and is listed on the Nasdaq Helsinki stock exchange.
www.vaisala.com twitter.com/VaisalaGroup linkedin.com/Vaisala