Vaisala's new Thunderstorm Manager is the latest application to assist you in tracking approaching storms; it supports a broad range of applications from synoptic or national scale lightning surveillance to keeping local ground and maintenance crews safe, and operational stoppages at a minimum.
The Vaisala Thunderstorm Manager tracking system utilizes Vaisala’s global network of lightning sensors (our Global Lightning Dataset – GLD360), and our high precision lightning detection network in North America (the National Lightning Detection Network – NLDN), to provide alerts in virtually any location around the world, as well as oceans, high mountain peaks, and other places not covered by radar or other meteorological instruments.
Vaisala Thunderstorm Manager is a web-based application that helps you track approaching storms in real time. You can use a desktop or mobile device browser to access the displays. One or multiple sites with alerting rings or polygons defining an alert region will serve to notify you about lightning taking place in the area.
Already own a Vaisala TLP? Use the Thunderstorm Manager Server option.
The Vaisala Thunderstorm Manager Server works with the Vaisala Total Lightning Processor (TLP) to provide a web site that delivers the Thunderstorm Manager web application.
Data from your lightning precision network or one of Vaisala's Lightning Detection Networks is used for the application, and it will create customized alerts for each user, based on site location and alert ring configuration (ring sizes, all clear timing, number of lightning events needed to trigger the alert).
The server system will produce a web site displaying the lightning detected by the Vaisala lightning sensors over a map. Users will be able to access this site via a secure login.
Features & Benefits
- Display of cloud-to-ground and cloud-to-cloud lightning
- Display of lightning polarity and graphical representation of the magnitude of each strike
- Time discrimination of lightning to determine the storm path through color coded symbols:
- 0 to 25 minutes, 5 minute increments
- 0 to 120 minutes, 15 and 30 minute increments
- Display of coordinates that follow the cursor
- Zoom and Pan with dedicated zoom area selection
- Add your assets to the map using circles or polygons
- Measure distance between two points (e.g. between strike location and asset)
- Administrator role login
- Individual user login
- Toggle Day and Night modes
- Add as many alert sites as necessary
- Add up to 3 levels of warnings per alert site
- Define alert regions using circles or polygons
- Get e-mail or SMS alerts triggered by lightning in each site's alert area
- Deliver alerts to multiple e-mail addresses or cell phone numbers
- Get All-Clear alert notifications when no discharges have taken place after a predetermined amount of time (e.g. 30 minutes)
- Choose from multiple time periods (from ½ hour up to 24 hours)
- Choose from multiple speeds
- Ability to animate lightning, radar and satellite at the same time
Layered technology, allows for adding more weather information from multiple sources
- Radar (where available)
- Satellite (where available)
- Lightning Threat Zone - up to a one-hour forecast of the potential for lightning in your region (in 10-minute increments). Includes a storm trajectory display, and a storm cell velocity vector with speed and direction.
- Storm Intensity - displays current lightning threat region, and the storm intensity level
- Radar Proxy - simulated radar image for locations where radar data is not available, based on lightning information