Lightning Data Information
The GLD360™ dataset product includes delivery of global lightning data. The lightning data includes cloud-to-ground stroke information, cloud-to-ground flash information and survey level cloud lightning information.
The lightning data file includes the following information (as a minimum):
- Date and Time (UTC with milliseconds accuracy)
- Latitude and Longitude (location)
- Peak amplitude (kA)
- Polarity (+/-)
Lightning Data Format
The GLD360™ data can be provided in various formats, including but not limited to the following:
- Binary (proprietary Type 97)
- Others as requested such as KML
Lightning Data Delivery
The GLD360™ data can be delivered in real-time (less than 60 seconds latency), near real-time (>2 minute bins) or in archive format (>24 hours). The delivery mechanism is via satellite in North America, secure shell Ethernet/internet (TCP/IP) or FTP.
The GLD360™ Network Specifications
- Current flash detection efficiency greater than 80% in most areas of the Northern hemisphere and between 10-80% in the Southern hemispheres, with the lower efficiencies in latitudes south of 42 degrees South. This is the best available for any worldwide VLF/LF long range network.
- Median location accuracy of 1.5 to 2.5 km
- Thunderstorm detection efficiency better than 99%
- Network uptimes nearing 99%
- Data feed uptimes of better than 99%
- Event timing precision of 1 microsecond RMS
- Peak amplitude measurements